Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Seems as though the Smile Worked

I did it. I slapped a grin on my face and decided it was going to be a better day. When I picked the girls up from school at 11:00, it wasn't looking promising. Fast forward an hour and life was completely different. The three of us were playing a memory game on the living room floor. There was no whining. There was no arguing. There was (gasp!) laughter. Could it be true? Could Daddy's long conversation with his girls about how sad mommy was when they didn't listen have worked? I think it did. No fights getting to the car for work. There were unprompted pleases and thank yous. Even throw in a "Here, you can go first." thrown around in there. Maybe we all just needed a little reality check.

Now onto more happy kid stuff...

Tonight they were cracking me up. Here's a sampling of two conversations we had while getting ready for bed:

Willow: Eliza said that Travis kissed her the other day. (They are all 5 years old, mind you.)
Me: Really?
W: Yeah. And he told her he was gonna do it again sometime soon.
Me: Well, Travis really shouldn't have given Eliza a kiss like that. It wasn't really appropriate. (Trying to get it through her head NOT to kiss boys at the age of 5!)
Fiona (from the other room): Yeah, he shouldn't have done that. That's how you get people's germs. That wasn't appropriate.

That's when I silently said a "Thank you, Jesus!" Then, while lying in bed with Willow as we said our good-nights, this is how it went:

W: I want a good-night kiss, Mommy (I gave her one.)
W: No, I want a long kiss. You know, a long kiss.
Me (trying to come up with something reasonable to say about that): Well, long kisses are really only okay when a mommy and daddy do it. It's not appropriate for mommys and kids.
W: Why?
Me: Ummmm...
W: I know. The mayor must have said that and you don't want to break the law.
Me: Exactly.

Great end to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment